Tuesday, August 21, 2012

HTML Javascript IDE for development and Tips for Developing with Visual Studio Express

When I have a web page development project or issue, I try to divide the project into smaller tasks and do experimental web pages to try out new ideas or resolve bugs.

So I needed a development IDE for HTML, Javascript and CSS. Tried Aptana Studio, Microsoft Expression Web 4 and Visual Studio Express, netbeans.

Found Visual Studio 2010 Express Products to be  the best. I have to warn you that I am little bit prejudiced because I am very familiar with Visual Studio because of my C#, .net, Silverlight development experience.

What I like about the IDE is it has some Intellisense, you can collapse divs in HTML . For example if you want to add a reference like the following

<script src="js/triangle_1.js" type="text/javascript"></script>

you can just drag the file from the folder view and drop it in your html file.

I did not want to create a web site for the small files I work with. I already had a few HTML files and associated folders with Javascript and CSS files in a folder with name JQM1. I asked the Visual Studio Express to start a new empty C# web solution and pointed to the JQM1 folder. It said you already have a project, I said yes and the folders showed up.

You can also look at the html pages using the File Web browser option. Since I work a lot with CSS3, I have designated Safari as my default browser and it works fine!

Try it , you may like it. One warning though the installation process took more than an hour and there is a registration process for Visual Studio Express using windows live id, but it is free!

Excellent reference Visual Studio shortcut keys

2 comments:

  1. I have been visiting various blogs for mobile app development. I have found your blog to be quite useful. Keep updating your blog with valuable information... Regards

    ReplyDelete
  2. Security based website designed in java script. Java applications are more expensive but these are fully secured and included little level of bugs and security treads exist. Multinational companies take web development services mostly based on java.

    ReplyDelete